I always create reading time to balance with my other priorities: exercise routines, my day job (I work at a library, did you know?), creative writing projects, and etc.
How much time do I dedicate to reading?
The times differ depending on the day. When I go to work in the morning, I read for thirty minutes to an hour. Evening-shifts are more exciting because I give myself a chance to read up to two hours.
Here are the other reading times I’ve set up for myself:
- 30 minutes
- 45 minutes
- 1 hour
- 1 hour and 30 minutes <—MY FAVORITE!
- 2 hours <— MY TOP FAVORITE
- 4 hours (say what?!) <— My TOP TOP FAVORITE!
Yep, I have read books for four hours. I set up the four hour reading schedule when I’m off from work and I have no plans to leave the house at all!
The best way to create a reading plan is to write it down:
- Mark it on your daily planner
- Post a sticker note about it somewhere you’ll easily spot it.
- Set up a reminder on your phone
Have some days when you don’t have time for scheduled reading? No problem. Here are some things you can do:
- Read a book during toilet “duty” (lame pun I know)
- Plane delay? Reading is a great time killer for that!
- Long road trip? Read.
- In the hair salon and your stylist is trying to work on five clients at once? Read.
- Dragged into a lame af family reunion? Read in a corner while the rest of your family is making a horrible attempt of the electric slide.
- And many more…
There’s so much time to read!
Just do it.
What’s your reading schedule like? Are you an early bird reader or an night owl?